Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My diabetic dog had a seizure tonight, for the first time

Customer Question

Hello. My diabetic dog had a seizure tonight, for the first time ever and then another one about 40 minutes later. It came out of nowhere, as I was getting dinner ready for all the dogs. She was able to eat her dinner afterwards, but then subsequently had the 2nd seizure a short time later. I have not given her insulin tonight because I am afraid this is blood sugar related. What I need to know primarily is whether I should give her all or a partial dose, or skip entirely?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 months ago.

Hello Rebecca,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I have picked up your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience in treating cats and dogs and smaller pets, rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect to receive a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Rebecca,

Sorry to hear Lola has this problem, however I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Fits can occur in the dog for a variety of reasons including insulin related problems, under these circumstances the best advice is not not to give her any more insulin injections until you can have her checked over by your vet which you should arrange as soon as possible.

2. In the meantime I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your Lola's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Rebecca,

I am just checking back in to see how Lola is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her seizure ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hi Rebecca,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lola. How is everything going?