Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog has gotten a sensitive stomach lately, and can't keep

Customer Question

my dog has gotten a sensitive stomach lately, and can't keep his food down. He is a very large dog and can stand to lose weight, but I'm concerned
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Winston. How long has he been vomiting; when did it start?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

Not eating normally, and vomiting, can indicate many conditions: infection, parasites, internal organ (liver, kidney, pancreas) disease, inflammatory bowel disease, and (sadly) cancer. Check his gums to see if they are a normal pink color, or pale.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

If I could, I would start with a thorough physical exam: Take his temp with a thermometer (normal is 101 to 102), palpate his lymph nodes and internal organs, listen to his heart, feel his pulses, etc.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I am so sorry; I can't make calls for the website. They automatically send phone offers. If you want a call, I will opt out and you can wait for an expert who can make a call. There is a small additional fee for phone calls.

Or, we can continue here. Let me know what you want to do.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He recently had an injured toenail that we had him treated for. He went through his medication, and was back to normal. At the time of his treatment, the vet determined he had an ear infection for which he was treated. The paw remains fine, but shortly thereafter this digestive problems began. His nose is cold and wet, he is still active, but he needs to eat.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

How was he treated; what medications did he take?

I agree he needs to eat, but to do that we need to find the underlying reason for the vomiting and his not eating.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Antibiotics: cypro, an ear antiseptic and baytril. We were also given deramaxx, but the side effects were scary, and we decided against that.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

It might not be good to give Deramaxx to a dog that is not eating and is vomiting.

Antibiotics would help if this were a bacterial infecion, but not if he has pancreatitis, liver or kidney disease, etc. I would consider doing blood tests and xrays if this were my own dog.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

Let me know if this is helpful and if you have more questions. I will only be online a little longer tonight.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

How is Winston doing? I have not hear back from you. Was this helpful; can I answer anything else?