Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

She is whining and her abdomen are hard she just urinated

Customer Question

She is whining and her abdomen are hard she just urinated while sitting on the bed even though we'd just been out
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Ash, she's two
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ash?
Customer: She's a lab x stabyhoun, generally very healthy and happy bouncy dog
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Ash. When such urgency and inappropriate urination is seen we must first rule out a simple bacterial urinary tract infection as the cause of such behavior. Whining and a tense abdomen are signs consistent with urinary tract pain but not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of it. Ash's vet will want to obtain urine by cystocentesis - percutaneous aspiration of Ash's bladder through her abdominal wall - the most sterile manner in which to obtain urine - and perform a complete urinalysis looking for the tell-tale signs of infection - the presence of bacteria and and/or abnormal numbers of either red or white blood cells in the urine. In most cases, a broad spectrum antibiotic is prescribed for 10-14 days or a urine bacterial culture and sensitivity can be performed in order to identify the very best antibiotic to prescribe.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?