Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My dog is a shitzu and is scratching at his ears, they do

Customer Question

HI there my dog is a shitzu and is scratching at his ears, they do have an odor and thoughs
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Dingo and he is 5, there are no fleas. could it be a yeast infection
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dingo?
Customer: just had all his shots and blood work came back very healthy
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern about Dingo. It certainly sounds as if he has an ear infection. Please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you since I have a few suggestions which, hopefully, will make him feel better. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 5 months ago.

1. Gently cleaning Dingo's ears with a product specifically designed for this purpose is a first good step; I would clean them once/day for at least 7-10 days.
You can purchase ear cleaners at most pet or grain stores. Or you can use 50/50 white vinegar and water. Bacterial and yeast don't like an acid environment which is why this solution may help but it doesn't loosen up the wax as well as an ear cleaner would do.

2. Ear infections are usually secondary to either a bacterial or yeast overgrowth; you won't be able to tell which is it just by looking,....or even smelling for that matter.

If fungal (usually the material in the ear is very black and dark), then you can try over the counter Clotrimazole which is available at human pharmacies. This is not a dog product but a human one. If bacterial (usually the material is more yellowish in color), then you can use over the counter anti-bacterial products such as you would use on a wound for yourself...neomycin, bacitracin, neosporin, for example.

Ears should be treated twice a day for 7-10 days. The following link demonstrates the process if you're unfamiliar with it: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1569

3. If they appear more inflamed when you're using the products, then Dingo may be having a drug reaction and the products should be discontinued.

4. I don't typically recommend over the counter Benadryl for itchy ears but it may be helpful. The dose would be 1 mg per pound of body weight twice a day. Sedation may be seen as a side effect, though.

5. If he seems uncomfortable or painful and if he's not vomiting nor currently taking any steroids or nsaid medication, then Aspirin can be given at a dose of 10 mgs per pound of body weight twice a day, with food to avoid stomach upset.

The following link provides additional information about this topic which may be helpful. http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=632

I hope this helps. Deb