Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My dog is bleed from the penis, I took him to the vet in

Customer Question

My dog is bleed from the penis, I took him to the vet in early August for this condition, he appeared to have a bite mark (we think our neighbors dog bit him) on the pink of his penis. They screened him for a variety of illness- he got a solid bill of health on everything else. His vet Prescribed anti inflammatory and antibiotics to avoid infection. Bleeding coincidentally stopped later in the day after seeing the vet. No real sign of it again until last week and now it is fairly heavy drops of blood again.
Background: super active black lab male, unfixed. Has anxiety when we are apart which I am Wondering if it might lead to extra licking and irritation. My travel schedule had me away when this originally started and again in the past -10 days.
Can you let me know if you have seen this condition or have any advice please.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Lee, unless proven otherwise an intact male bleeding from his penis suffers from acute prostatitis. Rectal palpation is likely to reveal an enlarged and often asymmetric prostate gland painful upon palpation. Castration + a minimum of 2 weeks of an antibiotic that penetrates well into the prostate gland such as enrofloxacin or trimethoprim-sulfa should be curative. If I don't castrate these dogs antibiotic administration can be quite protrated - 4-6 weeks - and recrudescece (relapse without cure) is common.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
To confirm:
So the Prostatitis can cause this type of bleeding?Long/Protracted treatment:
With antibiotics for 4-6 weeks?Clearly castration provides the final long term solution?

It most often causes that bleeding. Yes, castration shrinks the prostate by eliminating testosterone's influence on that gland. Because bacterial infection is expected, an antibiotic is indicated. Chloramphenicol is another good choice in addition to the enrofloxacin or trimethoprim-sulfa I mentioned above. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I guess my final question:If no pain was noticed with the prostate during his exam- is antibiotic treatment really still worth trying?

I reserve antibiotic-only treatment for valuable breeding dogs. I would castrate G as well. The presence or absence of pain isn't a reliable indicator of acute prostatitis. Confirmation would require ultrasound and needle biopsy of the prostate but most of us presumptively address dogs such as G as I mentioned.