Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

She had blood tests done as she's been fitting and her ck

Customer Question

She had blood tests done as she's been fitting and her ck levels were really high along with a high white blood cell count. She hasn't fitted since Monday, insurance company won't pay for her MRI. Could her fits be as a result of eating a toxic plant
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?
Customer: A lily, and some leaves from a bird of paradise plant
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: shes 15 weeks old
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Yes, but that would be unlikely. Lilies are non-toxic to dogs (but are to cats). Bird of paradise can cause GI distress. Seizures at her age are more often infectious in nature - Neospora or canine distemper encephalitis - or due to congenital (present at birth) brain defects such as hydrocephalus. The CK elevates with myocyte (muscle cell) damage which could occur with violent muscle spasms associated with seizures. It's not a clue to the cause of the seizures, however. An increased white blood cell count indicates inflammation but not necessarily the inflammation associated with infection. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
is an MRI essential Along with them also taking fluid from her spine

Either or both may be necessary to clarify the etiology of her seizures. I would begin with a cerebrospinal fluid tap and analysis in a young pup with the idea that I'm going to find an infectious cause. I would defer to a specialist veterinary neurologist, however, to whom she could be referred or you can find here: www.acvim.org/ Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Her back legs are on a slight angle when she runs could this all be connected

I would need to see a video to know what "a slight angle" implies. I do see ataxia ("drunken sailor") with encephalopathies (brain disorders). You can upload a video to YouTube and give me the link to it. Remember not to mark it as "private".

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've took a video of her running, I'll upload to YouTube and send you the link

Thank you! I'll watch for it. I have to leave my computer for a couple of hours but promise to reply as soon as I return.