Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian

I have a 5year old pug that always walks around with his

Customer Question

Hello - I have a 5year old pug that always walks around with his tongue out since he was a pup. A couple of days ago we noticed his tongue was deep pink and hes been salivating a lot more. We changed his food on Tuesday and we also took him to the vet where we found out he had fleas so we treated him with vets best spray Tuesday and Wednesday as well as the home. On Friday we applied frontline on him. Can all these changes be causing this to his tongue? There's no change in his behavior, bathroom habits and no vomit. Please help!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the pug?
Customer: His hind legs weee acting up a little which is why we took him to the vet. He didn't see anything wrong with him he thinks the itching of the fleas was causing him to try to scratch with his back legs
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 month ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your pup is acting so strangely.

Drooling is often caused by nausea, dental disease, or something bad tasting in the mouth. Was he trying to lick the flea spray off his fur? These often taste really bad to deter the pets from licking and children from getting it in their mouths.

Also, if he is licking the spray, it may be irritating his tongue and causing the color change. Frontline is very safe, but I am not familiar with "vets best spray." I am going to look that up.

Does this help? What other questions do you have?

Dr. Amanda

Okay, I looked that one up- it contains peppermint oil and clove oil. Both of these are essential oils and, if licked or ingested can cause irritation to the mouth and drooling.

Does this help?