Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Our 15 lbs Coton de Tulear, was given a 1/2 tab of Robaxin

Customer Question

Hi!! Our 15 lbs Coton de Tulear, was given a 1/2 tab of Robaxin (for his back spasms) however my boyfriend didn't realize it contains Ibuprofen!! Approx 100mg was given. Our dog has thrown up 6 times in 3 hrs. I am very worried. He seems ok otherwise.. even perky. He has drank a bit of water much not much. We live in a remote area. Should we make the 1.5 hrs drive to an emergency vet??
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

How long ago did he give the Ibuprofen (which is never safe for dogs)?

What is he bringing up in his vomit?

Can he keep any water down?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi! He was given the dose at approx 6:00pm yesterday and started vomiting around 8:00pm or so. He has vomited at least 9 times now, over night into this morning. I was very worried the whole time but my husband kept reassuring me to wait to take him the 1.5 hrs drive. Parker (dog) drinks water but then throws it up later and has only eaten part of a Greene bone treat... then threw that up.
We are taking him to the vet now.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Last night bile and a darker colour mixed in the vomit. Doesn't look like blood but... very worrisome. This morning clear and bile.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hi again,

Since you are taking him now (which is ideal, since this should not have been left overnight as you were reassured), I will pass your question back to customer service. Or if you prefer to discuss this situation (though there will be a charge to do so), please let me know.

Best wishes for your lad,

Dr. B.