Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

She got new antibiotics 6 days ago and has thrown up in the

Customer Question

She got new antibiotics 6 days ago and has thrown up in the middle of the night every night since. Starts at 1 or 2 and reoccurs every few hours until morning. I did not give her antibiotic tonight and she threw up once so far
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that I am aware of
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Happy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Happy?
Customer: No. She was attacked by a dog 11 days ago and her wound was draining some puss but everything is looking good now and almost completely healed and scanned over. Vet checked Friday and still wants happy to take antibiotic but It seems to really upset her stomach
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Now this isn't an uncommon situation. We can see some dogs be quite sensitive to their antibiotics and GI upset is a common reaction. Therefore, you were right to give Happy a 24 hour break from her antibiotic. Though if she is still unsettled we'd want to consider soothing her stomach with an OTC pet safe antacid (ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac))Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any other medications you haven't mentioned.

Afterwards, you can consider starting her on a easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning her slowly back to her normal diet.

Otherwise, after the 24 hours, you could restart her on the antibiotics but if she is this unsettled and nauseous on them, you may want to ring her vet about one that will agree with Happy's stomach better or at least have them dispense an anti-nausea treatment to keep her stomach settled.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.
Hi Amy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.