Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

My dogie 2 years old and housebroken. My normal routine is

Customer Question

My dogie 2 years old and housebroken. My normal routine is to walk him 2= miles in the morning and he relieves himself. Today, I have taken multiple walks and it is now 930pm an he show no urge to go. I have given him canned pumpkin. What should I do?
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: Do I need to minimize this box?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: He shows no sign of discomfort when I checked his paws.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Max
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Max?
Customer: He was taken to the vet's on 9/6 and had and had his mouth rinsed with saline and had an atropine injection.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Although it is unusual for Max to break from his routine if he is not straining to defecate and is otherwise acting normal I would give him another 24 hours before being concerned. You definitely did the right thing in giving the canned pumpkin. Other things to try the next 12-24 hours

- Other fiber sources including white rice to meals but making meals smaller and more frequent to stimulate gi motility
- Frequent walks beyond the regular morning walk (which should be 30 minutes after the morning meal to encourage gi emptying)
- Add water to meals to increase lubrication

As long as Max is not straining, acting otherwise normal, and no abdominal distention then monitoring is absolutely fine. To go off the normal routine is normal to some degree and if he is not showing any signs of distress giving him a bit longer to have the gi tract to empty is advised

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, I would love an update on Max to know whether he defecated since you asked your question?

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!