How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Altman Your Own Question
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 11114
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Altman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog is about 15 lbs. I just fround her with a bag of

Customer Question

my dog is about 15 lbs. I just fround her with a bag of hershey kisses milk chocolate. i saw her eat at least one. I fear she may have eaten about 20. What do i do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: OZi
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about OZi?
Customer: no she is 3 months old
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr Altman and happy to assist you both today!

With this ingestion, you may see mild to moderate symptoms (depending on how many were ingested) which can include

  • Vomiting
  • GI Upset
  • Hyper Tension
  • Hyperactivity
  • Restlessness

If your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (i.e. 1 & 1/2 tsp) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

If there is no vomiting induced, tonight please be monitoring for symptoms of vomiting, diarrhea, increased excitement, water intake increase, muscle tremors, lethargy

If you see muscle tremors, vomiting is not subsiding, or hyper excitability then please consider a veterinary er because these can be issues with chocolate toxicity. But if you see gi upset only then this should pass within the next 24 hours

Typically chocolate toxicity symptoms peak at 4-6 hours so if you pass this mark without symptoms then he should be just fine but taking a few precautions tonight:

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg per pound every 12 hours for 3 days
- Leash walks to help the chocolate pass more readily of >15 minutes
- Tomorrow bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken in small more frequent meals but waiting at least 12 hours after vomiting has subsided if he shows this symptom

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know who else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 months ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier and hope Ozi is feeling alright tonight. I hope the information I provided was helpful.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!