Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

He is having trouble breathing it seems .. It's very heavy

Customer Question

Hi ... He is having trouble breathing it seems .. It's very heavy ... He coughs and honks ... His nose is pointed up... What can I do to help him?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I'm concerned that such dyspnea (difficulty breathing) and posture indicates severe respiratory compromise as might be seen with congestive heart failure, chronic sterile bronchitis, pneumonia, or neoplasia (cancer) in the chest cavity in an 11 year old miniature breed.

Please check his respiratory rate for me. Normal is less than 30 breaths/minute. Please check his gum and tongue color. They should be nicely pink - not greyish/bluish indicating lack of oxygen to his tissues and not whitish indicating anemia. I wouldn't hesitate to have such a dog attended to by a vet at your earliest convenience. His chest should be carefully auscultated (listened to) and X-rayed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Nevermind ... He passed

My condolences for your loss of Charlie. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.