Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

11 week old puppy wormed o n Thursday vomiting and diarrhia

Customer Question

11 week old puppy wormed o n Thursday vomiting and diarrhia since still will not eat. Vet wormed her.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Schotizi
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Schotizi?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

How is she acting other than the vomiting and diarrhea?

Is she getting any new foods or treats?

What kind of dog is she?

Did they do vaccines too, or did they just worm her?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
first shots Iams puppy food German Shephard
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No treats
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

Is she acting like a normal puppy?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
seems a little lethargic
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She is very thin can see her ribs and spine, Other wise like a normal puppy
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

Okay...great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

So it's pretty normal for a dog to develop some digestive upset after both worming and vaccinations, so I'm not too terribly worried about it and would recommend that we just treat this as general run-of-the-mill digestive upset.

The gold standard for treatment of digestive upset in a dog is fasting. Generally the problem is acute (meaning it comes on quickly) and can be taken care of without much trouble.

If this were my dog, I'd fast her for 24 hours (providing she doesn't have any underlying diseases such as diabetes that require she eat every few hours). No treats, no food, nothing. You can leave a small amount of water available, but don't allow her to drink too much at one time (placing ice cubes in her bowl so that she can't gulp water will help).

After the 24 hours, I'd offer a bland diet of boiled rice and boiled hamburger (3 parts rice to 1 part burger) in VERY small amounts (perhaps 1-2 tablespoons every hour or so) for the next 24 hours. Once you start feeding the rice mixture, monitor the dog for recurring vomiting. If the problem doesn't start again, you can begin slowly mix in her kibble over the next few days until you're back to just kibble.

If the digestive upset persists for more than another day or so, or if your dog becomes lethargic, begins to have blood in the vomit, starts having bloody diarrhea or shows other 'unusual' signs, you should have her seen by a vet, just to rule out any sort of illness or parasite infection, but as a general rule, this clears up with just the fasting and then bland diet.

I hope this helps.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?