Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 4 year old standard poodle had a tumor removed last

Customer Question

My 4 year old standard poodle had a tumor removed last Tuesday and Wednesday. She has a large incision and has been doing well until this AM. The area is open in places and very red and irritated Can I apply Vitamin E or anything else I might logically have on hand until offices open on Monday? (area is on let hip) She is vigoruse and alert but won't leave this alone. She was sent home without an Elizabethan collar as vet did not have the correct size. Can I give her anything orally that I might over the counter or have on hand for human use? Thank you. Marie C. Douglas PhD (PS chest x ray was clean..just now waiting for path report.)
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today.

How large are the open regions?

Any discharge or odor?

Where is the incision located on her body?

Can you take a photo of this to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.