Jeffrey Evans
Jeffrey Evans,
Experience:  Veterinarian at North Shore Animal Hospital

My 17 wk old springer spaniel puppy is scarfing down his

Customer Question

Hello my 17 wk old springer spaniel puppy is scarfing down his food . He has been on the same food Victor . I bought a bowl that would help him slow down his eating but he takes his paw and try's to dump the bowl to get to the food faster . I feed him 1/2 cup three times a day. I don't know if this is normal puppy behavior ? I know it isn't good for his system. Also your thoughts on shots. How many rounds does a puppy get of the Dhlpp? I thought only three but they r telling me four
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jeffrey Evans replied 1 month ago.

Hi there! My name is***** and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. Please give me a moment to review your question. How are you today?

Sounds like you've got a hungry pup! Ravenous appetite may be a sign of intestinal parasites.

• Has your dog been dewormed by your veterinarian?
  • What type of food are you feeding your dog (brand and age?)

At 17 weeks your puppy should have all of there shots (DA2PP and Rabies)... DA2PP is typically started at 8 weeks of age and repeated every 3-4 weeks until we are 4 months old. If your dog has not received these it's important to keep you dog away from other dogs until they get 2-3 of DA2PP vaccine, 3-4 weeks apart. Rabies vaccines are administered once annually with no booster needed.

I see you're on Victor dog food. Be sure that you're feeding the 'Puppy' formula, as this will be packed with more calories for your puppy. If your dog is still hungry and we are certain your puppy does not have intestinal parasites (typically done through routine fecal exam) you can always add fresh veggies to the diet alone with the puppy food. Adding fiber to the diet is a wonderful and healthy way to fill them up!

I'm here if you have any further questions. If not, please let me know if I was able to help you today by rating me!

Would you like to continue the conversation?

Hi Rhonada,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Hershey. How is everything going?

Jeffrey Evans