Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My dog was sick 3 weeks ago, went to ER, had iv fluids and

Customer Question

my dog was sick 3 weeks ago, went to ER, had iv fluids and antibiotics. Was fine for 3 weeks, now she is sick again same symptoms. Fever, lethargy, eats and drinks a little, kind of stiff, small bowel movements. she is in ER again. they are considering doing a spinal tap for meningitis. Would the symptoms of meningitis come and go??? they are testing now for limes disease and addisons, have her on doxycycline and iv.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. It could be an infection. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: What course of treatment would you recommend?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: lulu 9 mos old, Came from a rescue in Colorado five months ago.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

In regards ***** ***** question, if the meningitis was due to a bacteria that was only partially sensitive to the antibiotics used, then we could certainly see delayed relapse as the bacterial population left over regrew. Though its good to hear that her vet is checking for other issues (especially since Lyme's disease would be one that may respond in part to an antibiotic besides Doxycycline and then relapse due to not being fully cleared).

Further to this, we may need to her vets to test for protozoa (ie Toxoplasma, Neospora) if prevalent in your area and potentially look into other tick borne diseases. Though since the spinal tap is very important here (since this will give them an ideal of which of these agents are present and the fluid can be cultured to determine if there is a resistant bacteria present) you can have them send that for analysis first before necessarily testing for other agents.

Overall, your vet's approach initially was responsible. Especially if Lulu had responded to treatment. Though with this relapse its good to hear that they are being more aggressive as tick borne testing and spinal fluid analysis are key at this stage to make sure we identify which agent is present and ensure we address it properly to clear it for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )