Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

I have an 8 year old beagle with a history of kidney stones.

Customer Question

I have an 8 year old beagle with a history of kidney stones. Friday he appeared to be in distress, heavy panting, clingy. Took him to Banfield Animal Hospital who kept him for a day, did blood work showing elevated liver counts and said they can't find anything else wrong until they could schedule an ultra sound sometime this week. They prescribed Denamarin for 30 days. Yesterday he seemed to be doing a little better, moving around more but drinking a lot of water. This morning he is back to being lethargic, panting but now in actual pain. Lightly touching just behind his rib cage he yelped loudly in pain. I'm not sure if I should take him to an emergency clinic with staff I do not know or wait until my vet opens in the morning. The reviews I've read online for the ER Vet he recommends was not very promising. Thank you.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the beagle. What is the beagle's name?
Customer: Willie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Willie?
Customer: That's all of the symptoms I can think of except when I let him out to urinate, he will just lay down in the grass and doesn't seem to have the desire to move.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Unfortunately, if Willie is in that much pain, you cannot just monitor him at home. There are no dog safe pain relief options there and we'd not want him suffering. Instead, we need to have him seen urgently to get injectable pain relief started. The vet can also make sure he can pass urine (a canine emergency if they cannot) and that there are no emergency issues (ie gut blockage, rupturing mass, severe painful pancreatitis). This is something those ER vets should have no problem managing and you don't need them to do extensive testing, just keep him stable and safe until his vet is open. Or you can check @ or via for another ER option. Overall, the most important thing here is that you get him onto strong dog safe pain relief and avoid him suffering here. Further to that, you don't have to have this ER vet do anything else but keep his pain under control until his vet is open and can take over his care.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )