Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Took him out to play with another Bulldog ( all shots done )

Customer Question

Hi , took him out to play with another Bulldog ( all shots done ) for the first time . We have had the puppy for two weeks and were told he can play with other dogs if they have all vacannations . He played for a long time and was a bit rough . Later in the evening and through the night he has vomitted about 7 times . Will not eat or drink , just not happy
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the puppy eat anything unusual?
Customer: We were at a block party and he was a hit . I did NOT see him eat anything . He was picked up by many kids , but was loving it . I did not see if any food was on the ground , but we were watching him . It doesn't take long , so it's possible we missed it . Maybe a kid gave him a treat ? I just feel so guilty ! My sons Bday and his dog is sick ...
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the puppy?
Customer: He had his shots , and no parasites in stool . He artwork meds given last week .
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

What does his vomit look like?

Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Any chance a kid could have given him anything with chocolate, grapes, raisins, or xylitol (artificial sugar)?

Any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Good morning ,
He may have had diarrhea , I could have thought it was vomit . I was getting up every hour or two to clean and monitor .
His belly seems harder than usual , but not whimpering when I touch him .
Gums are pretty pink .
He doesn't want to eat or drink . I tried putting my finger in water and having him drink and he doesn't want to .
His vomit was brown , no chunks .
The first vomit was about 12 hours ago .
He did have a normal stool and has urinated about 3 times .
He has got up to poop , pee , or throw up and back to bed .
He has had shakes , but I see that often when he sleeps .
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He hasn't vomitted for a few hours , but still weak . He is making eye contact and looks like he is saying sorry .
We don't think he was given any food , but that doesn't mean he didn't find any scraps . Can I force water down ?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you,

First, if he isn't keen to eat/drink, I suspect it was vomit since nausea will cause that but also anorexia. As well, if he is feeling that nauseous, then that certainly could cause him to have the shivers/shakes. Now based on the signs we are seeing, we do have a few concerns. There are GI viruses and bacteria they can pick up even if not vaccinated, but given the sudden onset of his signs I’d be most wary of either a pancreatitis from being fed something overly rich, a general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items).

In any case, if we do think he could have had access to any of those specific worries I noted or if he develops any of those signs I have you check, then we’d want to have him see urgently by the local vet. Otherwise, you can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest the stomach for a few hours first), you can consider treating with an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Also if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Once he is more settled, you can plan to try small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only) The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to what you normally feed.

Since dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check this and make sure dehydration isn’t an issue, there are a few parameters you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure his eyes are not looking sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you do see any of these signs already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially since its often dehydration that makes them feel unwell). Otherwise we can offer fluids once using the above to soothe his stomach but no forcing nauseous dogs else they just end up vomiting more.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to try to settle his stomach. Though if he cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, ensure nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be, or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach and get him back feeling like himself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.