Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

She is acting fine she threw up we gave her hydrogen

Customer Question

She is acting fine she threw up we gave her hydrogen peroxide and I think she only ate 2 ibuprofen but I want to know what else to do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: A 6 month old German Shepherd and she weighs I don't know 75,80 pounds
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know if the German shepherd will be able to digest that. What is the German shepherd's name?
Customer: Laney
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Laney?
Customer: I got her to throw up but nothing is in it
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago did she potentially eat these?

Were they the standard 200mg version?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
30 35 minutes yes standard 200 mg. She has thrown up twice. From hydrogen peroxide.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Thank you,

Now the trouble with Ibuprofen and our dogs is that it can potentially cause 2 different types of adverse effects. At very high doses (thankfully not likely here if she only had 2), we can see kidney damage. Otherwise, the more common and lower dose associated signs are GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea, appetite loss) but most importantly this can cause stomach ulcers. And I'd have to note that considering her weight and a possible dose of 400mg (11mg/kg), the latter signs are very much a concern for Laney.

At this stage, we have a few options. If it has been only that long, you can try inducing vomiting again. We can give up to 3 doses of hydrogen peroxide to try to retrieve ingested tablets. Otherwise, since no tablets were recovered and we have to be wary about them still being in the stomach or absorbed, we could alternatively use activated charcoal. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes and don't be alarmed if she has black stools after this). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled and offered frequently to give her stomach acid something else to chew on.

As well, we’d want to have her on an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. This will reduce her stomach acid and thus reduce the risk of ulcers. Of course, any belly pain, paling gums, or vomit with blood or brown material (like coffee grounds) and an ulcer would be a concern for her.And for that, we’d want her local vet to assess this and start injectable anti-nausea treatment, gastroprotectants, and gut safe pain relief to help her heal this without harm.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you!'
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

All the best,

Dr. B.