Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 10 dog ate a oxidizer packet that is magnetic. While

Customer Question

my 10 dog ate a oxidizer packet that is magnetic. While searching for peroxide she vomited quite a bit. I gave her mylant and carafate altho her stomach is still upset. She vomited about 2 hours after the meds but it was not the black stuff she vomited the first time. This yellowy light brown. What should I watch for now?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

First, I am glad to hear that her vomited was black initially since that would have been her bringing up some of the oxidizer. Especially as this sounds to be an iron based one. Now hopefully she did bring up most of what she ate and the treatments you have used to coat her stomach and reduce nausea have been good. Though if she keeps vomiting and especially if you see brown clotted material that looks like coffee grounds or vomit; then we'd be concerned this has eroded her stomach and we'd want her seen urgently. Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** question, other signs we need to keep a close eye out for Pogo are lethargy, bloody or black diarrhea, belly cramps, and muscle tremors. If we see those, then again we'd be worried about gut damage and also that there was enough iron into her blood stream.

Otherwise, we'd want to keep up on those above treatments every 8-12 hours. And if we can get her settled, small meals of a light diet like rice with boiled chicken, scrambled egg, or cottage cheese can be fed to further protect her stomach here.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.
Hi Pamela,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Pogo. How is everything going?

Dr. B.