Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My 12 year old female had a low HGB her gums turn and she

Customer Question

My 12 year old female ***** ***** had a low HGB her gums turn white and she about passes out. She is anemic. No autoimmune as per a Cumbs test. Then she shakes like a leaf if one of the other jacks even come close to me and growls like somebody is about to die. Then all of sudden her gums turn pink, later bright red. Then by morning they are white again. I have her on prednisone. She pants for no reason, and her heart really beats fast, then she calms down. I just don't get it and neither does her vet. HELP, I can't live without my Molly Mc Fly
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: The great and powerful Molly McFly
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Molly McFly?
Customer: She does have a thyroid problem. She has what seems to be a breathing problem. I live so rural in Colorado, country doctors, I am so scared
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please note that a negative Coombs test doesn't rule out autoimmune hemolytic anemia (AIHA). We also look for certain changes in the red blood cells and the anemia is usually regenerative (my patient can replace the red blood cells he/she lacks). I must admit that I can't think of anything other than recurring shock that could cause such a change in the color of her gums. They can't become bright red if she's profoundly anemic. Can you upload a copy of all of the great and powerful Molly McFly's test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but her vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as

Please note, too, that you're likely to be less than a few hours away from a specialty clinic in Denver or the vet school in Fort Collins. Don't accept the care of "country doctors" if you're not comfortable with them.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am aware of Coombs tests are not always conclusive. Molly is sitting here shaking like a leaf. This I don't understand either. She does have allergies to grains as well, so her diet is different from the other for Jacks. I feed her salmon dry dog food and add Some low fat Science canned food. Yes, her gums did get bright red then white, I am very concerned about her breathing....I am wondering if it's her heart or lungs. She also has a collapsing trachea. I need to test her O2 sat. (I am an old paramedic LOL) I live about 10 hours from Denver and Fort Collins. I will try and get copies of test results as well. I have also given her some MJ, jellies without the part of that stuff that causes hallucinations or seizures. It have given her just a tiny tiny bit. I am really not familiar what this does for dogs, but it does help the shaking. I bought it just for her, I don't indulge! I wanted to make sure it didn't contain any of the THC or what ever it is that makes one weird. I have also given her wormwood drop in her food. I did that for about 4 days. I am giving her vitamins in her food as well. However I did quit the wormwood about a week ago. She is getting three meals a day rather than 2. She had surgery for mastitis a couple of weeks ago. The vet took out a whole line of nipples as there were nodules. The biopsy came back neg. She was spayed as well. We didn't spay her before because of not wanting her to be intubated. She is recovering well from that surgery. Thank you for returning my email.

That's quite some history! Her shaking can indicate both medical and behavioral disorders - mainly pain and anxiety, respectively and they're not mutually exclusive. I'm not familiar with MJ/jellies. You just need to avoid xylitol - an artificial sweetener that can cause hypoglycemia and liver toxicity. Whenever breathing is a worry in a 12 year old, don't hesitate to X-ray her chest.

You're quite welcome.