Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Buddy, 13, was diagnosedas with metastatic cancer a few days

Customer Question

Buddy, 13, was diagnosedas with metastatic cancer a few days ago, and he is drinking a little bit and not eating. And wondering what I can give him to ease his discomfort.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Buddy, 13. 60lbs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about buddy?
Customer: He's a really sweet dog, and our beloved family pet. He has arthritis too,
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Buddy. Good hospice care for these patients involves the use of a narcotic analgesic such as tramadol or stronger narcotics such as morphine or buprenorphine. These drugs can be combined with nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) such as carprofen or meloxicam which then synergize to provide even better analgesia. All are available through Buddy's vet. You're necessarily constrained at this time to administering aspirin dosed at 10 mg/lb with food twice daily or acetaminophen dosed at 7 mg/lb thrice daily. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He won't eat. He is drinking some. How do I give him the mess?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The medication!

You'll have to open his mouth and gently place it in the back of his throat; close his mouth and massage his throat until he swallows. You can try coating the pills with meat or cheese first. Alternatively, you could pound pills into powder, suspend them in water, milk, cream, bouillons, or broths and then administer the suspension with an eyedropper placed between his cheek teeth and cheek.