Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog was favoring his back right leg so I took him to the

Customer Question

My dog was favoring his back right leg so I took him to the vet where he was prescribed meloxidyl. His leg seems to have gotten worse, he sometimes drags it and is having a hard time going to the bathroom.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

I am very sorry to hear that your lad is struggling with his leg and the Meloxidyl isn't helping this. As well, I have to say that I am quite concerned to hear that he drags the leg. This is because while it can be a sign of weakness, dragging can also be a sign of issues involving the nerves and spine (ie inflammation, disc disease, clots/abscesses/masses compressing the spine, etc). If there are problems on the neurological level, then sometimes they can become progressive until the leg becomes paralysed. And while Meloxidyl is good for muscle strains/sprain and soft tissue inflammation; it effects on nerves/spinal cord isn't as good. Therefore, if he is worsening; we'd want his vet to reassess this as soon as they are open and perform a full neurological examination. Depending on their findings, they may need to change medications or if they suspect the spine is involved then potentially even send him for MRI to get to the root of these progressive signs and address them for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )