Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

She pressed the button and rolled the window up on herself.

Customer Question

She pressed the button and rolled the window up on herself. My husband noticed after a few seconds and heard her gagging a bit. She seems fine, drinking water, ate a few treats and playing, however she keeps choking a bit. What should we do????
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Payzlee and she is only 5 months old lab/husky mix
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Payzlee?
Customer: No she is very healthy
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Poor Payzlee!

Based on what has happened, I suspect she has some throat irritation or inflammation from this. Now if it is severe, then we'd want her local vet to start dog safe anti-inflammatories (ie Metacam, Onsior, Rimadyl, etc). Do avoid using OTC human options since most are toxic and Aspirin would be contraindicated here (since its a blood thinner and could worsen bruising and tissue bleeding). Otherwise, these situations often just take time and supportive care to settle. Since her throat itself is likely uncomfortable, do plan to put her onto soft food (ie canned or rice with boiled chicken, white fish, or cottage cheese). And if she is coughing with this or swallowing uncomfortably, you could also try giving a mild cough suppressant. Commonly we will give a few millilitres of plain honey & glycerin cough syrup or plain honey. These can be given as often as needed. Alternatively, you could use Robitussin DM at a dose of 1 milligram per pound of body weight every 8 hours. Of course, do make sure to only use this and avoid any with pet toxic cold medications (ie acetaminophen, paracetamol, ibuprofen caffeine, alcohol, or pseudoephedrine) here.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )