Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 5.5 lb puppy may have just eaten a 25 mg. topimax. I am

Customer Question

my 5.5 lb puppy may have just eaten a 25 mg. topimax. I am not cetain, but I dropped it and can't find it. She was right there and acted like she was eating something. Do I need to take her to the emergency vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I have picked up your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience in treating cats and dogs and smaller pets, rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect to receive a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have very quickly worked out an answer for you below.

1. This drug is likely to have serious side effects in such a small dog so you have to act if there is any chance at all she swallowed this tablet.

2. One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your pup sick immediately and try recover the drug that way if it indeed was swallowed. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then things should be OK. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

3. However if you fail to quickly induce vomiting or if any odd symptoms occur then you should have your dog checked over by an ER vet without delay. But I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your pup's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your puppy is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Topimax incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.