Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

My puppy (10 week dachshund) swallowed a small piece of

Customer Question

My puppy (10 week dachshund) swallowed a small piece of plastic, about the size of an pencil eraser. Will he pass it just fine, should i induce vomiting (with H2O2) or take him to the vets?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Can you please tell me Humphrey's weight and how long ago it was ingested?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it was digested within the past 30 min and I'm not sure of his weight, probably about 5-6lbs

Since Humphrey ingested this within the last hour and with his size there is potential for a foreign body obstruction I would advise inducing vomiting. You can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (i.e. 1/2 teaspoon) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

Does this information make sense? Please let me know how else I can assist you both today.

If there is no vomiting please feed a piece of bread and walk him around the yard for 15 minutes, repeat in a few hours and monitor for the plastic out the other end in the next 24-48 hours. If there is any vomiting past the peroxide and the plastic is not expelled please consider a veterinary er

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Good morning, I wanted to check in on Humphrey to see how he did overnight? Were you able to induce vomiting? Any issues with the piece of plastic that was ingested? I would love an update when you are able

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!