Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

Maltese is constipated. What can I do?

Customer Question

My 6 year old Maltese Lucy is constipated. She is 8 lbs and not spayed.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 month ago.
Sorry to hear Lucy has this problem.
1. If she is constipated you may want to try oral remedies such mineral oil { Liquid Paraffin } which is an over the counter product available from your chemist or pharmacy to relieve your dog's constipation, this type of product is very gentle and safe. The dose rate for a small dog of your one's size would be in the region of 1 ml twice a day orally. A small syringe you can also pick up at the pharmacy would be a good aid in administering this product. (Until you can pick up the mineral oil you can safely substitute olive oil or vegetable cooking oil)
2. On a home remedy basis one of the other things that might help is canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling, this is a gentle stool softener for dogs which makes it a good natural remedy for constipation. You could try one heaped teaspoon twice a day for a dog like yours.
3. But be aware that there would be two kinds of constipation in the dog, the first would be a simple or primary constipation which happens now and again and is not related to any disease process and may be related to feeding, or other minor issues, this form will often quickly respond to the above common sense sort of treatment.
4. But dogs can appear to be constipated on a secondary basis for other reasons such as bowel obstruction or other serious diseases, this of course is rare and you would usually see other signs related to this situation. But for this reason if the problem persists or other symptoms appear you should consider having a vet check Lucy over sooner rather than later. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if her condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.