Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital
92209471

My boxer is having problems jumping down from bed, he yelps.

Customer Question

hi, my boxer is having problems jumping down from bed, he yelps. i have been giving him low dose aspirin. is their anything else i dcan do?? ty
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your boxer?
Customer: he is crying when he jumps down from bed.
JA: The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the boxer's name and age?
Customer: jayjay, i think 10 yrs old. hes a rescue.
JA: What is the boxer's name?
Customer: JAYJAY
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about JAYJAY?
Customer: NO
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is***** but you can call me Dr. H, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your pet JayJay is having pain when jumping down from the bed. Poor guy. He may have arthritis setting up in his joints causing him pain.

I honestly can't recommend continuing the aspirin, unless of course your vet approved this usage for your pet first by clearing him of any underlying disease processes that would make him high risk for its usage.

Typically joint pain is treated with multiple drugs in pets that are having considerable pain. 1 drug alone in most cases won't produce great results in my professional opinion. However you can start him on joint supplements. I highly recommend either Dasuquin (#1 choice- found through Amazon.com and may be at your local vet's office) or Cosequin for joint pain.

The other treatments for osteoarthritis (OA) in pets are as follows:

1) NSAID- pets typically are cleared with normal bloodwork before use. Meloxicam, Metacam or Deramaxx are your typical 1st choices for Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug use. These are Rx only through your vet

2) Opiate- we generally place pets on Tramadol for pain, and this drug can be given as needed when JayJay has particularly painful days on his joints

3) Adequan injections- this drug is a glycosaminoglycan and it works so well for osteoarthritis in dogs and it consists of 6 treatments of intramuscular injections given by your vet on a weekly basis. It is fairly pricey however so check with your vet first to see if this is a viable option for you and JayJay.

Hopefully this can get you started towards treating JayJay's pain. Also not to mention if you haven't already had radiographs (x-rays) of his hips and spine then it is something to highly consider to confirm this is just arthritic pain and nothing potentially serious going on with his musculoskeletal system.

- Dr. H

Please let me know if there is anything else I can answer or help you with today and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

*If you have no further questions, then please don't forget to rate my service today. Thank you so much for your feedback! *

Best regards,

Dr. H

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Drhollowayvet