jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900

Lab keeps scratching and making sores under her chin, funny

Customer Question

lab keeps scratching and making sores under her chin
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: funny this started when we used a flea pill
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: everything else ok-started about month ago
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Jane. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will be back in touch with you as soon as possible.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

What kind of bowl are you feeding her out of?

Any change in food, or treats recently?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

I am really not in a position to do a phone call. Usually sores like you are describing on the chin are due to a condition called folliculitis (inflammation of the hair follicles). This is generally seen in dogs that are susceptible to staph infections, have mites, or are allergic to plastic or other feeding bowls that the chin comes into contact with. Your Vet will need to do a skin scrapping and examine it to determine if it is due to mites or a bacterial organism. Depending on the results your Vet will prescribe medication and/or recommend switching to stainless steel feeding bowls.

You can read about this here:

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/health/pyoderma.htm

http://devinefarm.net/rp/rpskin.htm

If there has been any change in food or treats, I would switch your dog back to the previous food to help ensure that isn't the cause. It can take up to 6 weeks for the skin to clear after the allergen is removed. In this case, I would expect faster results to removing the item your dog is allergic to. You might use benadryl to help as well at a dosage of up to 2mg per pound every 8 hours to help with the itchiness. Read more on allergies here:

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/allergy-general-in-dogs/428

http://www.lbah.com/word/canine/skin-allergies/

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer

Following up to see if you found my answer helpful?