Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

Loose cow pie stools. Bernese born Dec 15, 2015. Eats Fromm

Customer Question

Loose cow pie stools. Bernese born Dec 15, 2015. Eats Fromm large breed puppy 3 cups morning 3 cups night. Treated flagyl, recent test showed negative. Cow pies last night. Energy good.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Tristan
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tristan?
Customer: not that i know of. he came from Ontaio Canada
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Since Tristan appears to be normal otherwise, there are a couple things that could be causing this loose stool. If the fecal and smears are negative for coccidia and Giardia and other parasites, this may be due to Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD). This can be common in this breed although it is rare in such a young dog. The cause is unknown but it is known that it involves the immune system and can be related to allergies. The treatment is aimed at feeding a hypoallergenic diet along with medications. The only way to diagnose this is with intestinal biopsies and this will require surgery.

Talk to your vet about this and perhaps this can be cleared up for sweet Tristan.

This LINK may explain in more detail.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****