Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My bulldog had a walk to the park today and when we got back

Customer Question

My bulldog had a walk to the park today and when we got back I realized his eye was swollen . For the last hour it has gotten bigger and seems to have Pisa or eye boogies coming out. What can I do?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Can you share a picture of the swelling with the eye?
2) Is it just one eye?
3) Any welts in the coat?
4) Is he on any meds?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's one eye he is in no meds

This looks like it may be due to an allergic reaction. I can give you some steps to take at home to see if this improves the swelling. If he worsens overnight or is not better by morning, definitely have your vet examine this area.

You can clean the eye discharge with a soft, moist, cool cloth as often as needed. Give 1-2mg/pound of body weight of benadryl every 8-12 hours until the swelling subsides.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Good morning his eye was worst during the night and I refused to give him the Benadryl because he has had allergies before however this time it looked complety different . He was taken to the vet today and given medication to cure his infection