Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

MY DOG THROWS UP EACH TIME HE EATS FOOD, IT STARTED LAST

Customer Question

MY DOG THROWS UP EACH TIME HE EATS FOOD, IT STARTED LAST NIGHT AND CONTINUES ON TONIGHT. what can be wrong with him?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Just his usual dry food and a small drum stick of chicken that has been boiled. There is no strange color in his vomit.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Hunter and 4 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Hunter?
Customer: He is a very healthy dog, in fact, he just had his annual comprehensive exam and everything is normal. He is not a big eater, we feed him Blue Buffalo wilderness dry food
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I have picked up your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience in treating cats and dogs and smaller pets, rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect to receive a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

Sorry to hear Hunter is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below.

Of course this sort of situation is always a gamble so if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have a vet check him over without delay. That said episodes of vomiting are quite common in the dog and most cases are not so serious, there are a number of home remedies for vomiting in the dog which some owners try before getting their local vet involved. These can often work well for uncomplicated cases where for example a dog has eaten something he should not have out in the yard, or had some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has somehow acquired a minor tummy bug of some sort. Here are some examples.

1. I am aware that some owners use Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.

B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yogurt added to the food or given orally can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance, the amount you give depends on the size of the dog, one teaspoon twice a day is fine for toy breeds ranging up to two tablespoons twice a day for larger dogs.

Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or Hunter deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check him over just to be on the safe side.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Hunter is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his vomiting ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.