Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

Vomiting. Drinks water and vomits again, No, Gracie. 6 year

Customer Question

Vomiting. Drinks water and vomits again
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Gracie. 6 year old mini Schnauzer
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gracie?
Customer: Always been very healthy
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Is Gracie spayed?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Did she eat anything out of the ordinary?

5- Is she lethargic?

6- Any abdominal swelling?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Started this am she is spayed and she is lethargic. No swelling
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

1- Any pre existing medical conditions?

2- Any other symptoms?

3- How much does she weigh?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No 17 lbs
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

1- How long since the last time she vomited?

2- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Vomited 40 minutes ago
Gums are pink
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for answering my questions. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Friend, I am sorry that Gracie is lethargic and vomiting I am sure this must worry you. In response to your question, vomiting and lethargy are very non-specific symptoms and can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing. But, common causes are pancreatitis, dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes. Unfortunately, we are somewhat limited as to what you can do at home, I am sorry. I would strongly recommend a hands-on examination with a veterinarian, blood work, and x-rays as an initial screening test to determine the exact underlying cause. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. In the meantime, in any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If she continues to vomit after doing the above or you notice pale gums or she becomes more lethargic I would have her checked by ER veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter