Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Researching antibiotic combination therapy for lyme and

Customer Question

researching antibiotic combination therapy for lyme and anaplasmosis for my dog
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: oliver 3
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about oliver?
Customer: already had a round of doxycycline
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i want to determine a reasonable dosing schedule and regimen for combination therapy for lyme and anaplasmosis. for humans, the newer approach is to go with combination therapy for chronic or refractory lyme. the international lyme and associated diseases society has this to say: Combination antibiotic treatment
Combination therapy with two or more antibiotics is now
increasingly used for refractory Lyme disease [11,41,45,46–49]
and has also been given as initial therapy for some chronic
This approach is already used for another tickborne illness,
babesiosis [50]. Oral amoxicillin, cefuroxime or (more
recently) cefdinir combined with a macrolide (azithromycin
or clarithromycin) are examples of combination regimens that
have proven successful in clinical practice, although controlled
clinical trials are lacking in persistent, recurrent and
refractory Lyme disease.
Combination therapy in patients with Lyme disease raises the
risk of adverse events. This risk must be weighed against the
improved response to combination therapy in Lyme disease
patients failing single agents [47–49].i want to determine which of these antibiotics are known to be safe in dogs and choose the combination and dosing to use. i am not interested in another round of single agent antibiotics. thank-you for your help.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

In regards ***** ***** question, we do often combination treat when we have resistant cases of this nature. In regards ***** ***** most common drug that we will use alongside Doxycycline, we'd use one from the Penicillin group like Amoxicillin (20 mg/kg). Otherwise, if your vet and yourself want to lean away from the Doxy all together, then some of those noted in the human guide are available for dogs as well. Specifically, you could pair up the Amoxicillin or Cefuroxime with Azithromycin (10 mg/kg) as an alternative option.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.