Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

When my husband got home form work around 6:15 today he

Customer Question

When my husband got home form work around 6:15 today he found that 1 of our 2 dogs had thrown up numerous times and had diarrhea in her kennel. Since then she has thrown up 3 more times.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that we are aware of
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Misha and she is 4 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Misha?
Customer: no she has always been healthy
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 2 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Please give me a moment to type my response. Thank you.

Sorry that Misha is so sick. Vomiting and diarrhea are very nonspecific clinical signs. First, you should not allow her to eat or drink anything for the moment to try and let the nausea subside. The most common causes of gastrointestinal problems in a dog her age are pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas in response to high fat intake), dietary indiscretion ( chewing on plants or irritants to the stomach), ingestion of foreign material (less likely in her case because she has diarrhea too) and infectious (viral, bacterial and fungal diseases).

I need to ask a few questions. What type of dog is Misha? Can you think of anything she could have gotten into or does she get people food? Was there any blood in the vomit or stool? Is the diarrhea watery? Lets start there