PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I have a 6 dog with an upset stomach & a bit of a cough. She

Customer Question

I have a 6 kilo dog with an upset stomach & a bit of a cough. She has been to her vet but is not a lot better. I want to give her slippery elm and have read that she should have 1/4 of a capsule 2x day but I do not know the dosage of the capsules, they come in all different strengths. Could you please tell me in mgms how much slippery elm my dog should have and the frequency of the dosage. Carol L AbelaJA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. How old is should?Customer: My dog is 13 yo, her mother lived to 23yo when she was run over by a car, so I expect my dog to live longer. Carol L AbelaJA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about should?Customer: No. Please respond to earlier inquiry. Carol *
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Carol, a 6kg dog should receive 100-200mg up to three times daily with food. This can be mixed into food or even given in water (often forms a gelatin-like substance). You can use it as long as is needed. There is no known level of toxicity, so even if you gave substantially more you would likely see no ill effects from your pet.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800