Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

What to Feed the most finiky Dachshund age 12+ He has almost

Customer Question

What to Feed the most finiky Dachshund age 12+ He has almost stopped eating and Iamextremely worried aout it
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dachshund?
Customer: Not that I am aware. He did have diarehr for a fewq days but that is nowover. His stool hpowever is almpost black.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your doxi. I believe the most important question is: Why has an elderly doxi become anorexic? I'll feed such a dog anything that he'll eat even if it's the finest cuts of beef. His diarrhea might be a clue to his problem but it isn't a symptom that is specific for any one particular disorder. Black stool can contain digested blood but it can also indicate poor intestinal motility. The longer it takes ingesta to pass through the GI tract, the longer the time bacteria can act on the bilirubin in that stool and metabolize it into stercobilinogen - the chemical that gives stool its characteristic brown/black color.

Most important, a dog of his age doesn't have the reserve of a much younger dog. His vet will want to perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. His exam should include carefully looking into your doxi's mouth for oral/dental disease - a common problem in an elderly doxi's mouth. Degenerative disorders such as chronic hepatic and renal insufficiency as well as age-related malignancies need to be considered in such a patient. Time is of the essence. Please have him attended to at your earliest convenience.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.