Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital

My sons 2 year old lab is having seizures. The research I

Customer Question

my sons 2 year old white lab is having seizures. The research I have done indicates that a prescription such as phenobarbital might be indicted. How much would obtaining a medicine to curb the seizures entail?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: white lab
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: are we on the same page?
JA: Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the's name?
Customer: jean
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about jean?
Customer: no, other than i would like to stop the seizures
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is***** but you can call me Dr. H, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I understand that your sons dog is having seizures. Poor guy. He is very young to be having this sort of problem.

Yes you are correct in that phenobarbital is one of the anti-seizure medications tried in pets to gain control of seizure activity. Because most seizures in pets are idiopathic (no underlying cause), most pets do well on anti-seizure medications. However a brain tumor or lesions on the nervous system can also be a cause of frequent seizures, so you we must always consider that as a possibility.

To answer your question, the cost involved in working up a pet with seizures often includes the following:

1) Office visit- varies from clinic to clinic but ranges $40-$75 (you can call and ask before going in what that specific clinic charges

2) Bloodwork- this also varies, $100-$200

3) Phenobarbitol- this depends on how much you are getting and is based on the pets weight. I really can't give you an accurate estimate for this cost, but phenobarbitol is one of the cheaper medications used to treat seizures.

Hopefully this gives you a ballpark to work with. Now these prices are assuming that your sons pet Jean is stable right now and not in need of emergency services to help control a massive seizure.

Let me know if you have any further questions that I can answer. Thank you.

- Dr. H