jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.

I have a 9 y.o female cockerspaniel and she was sleeping

Customer Question

I have a 9 y.o female cockerspaniel and she was sleeping then when she got up, it was like she was drunk and couldnt really walk
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Candie 9years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Candie?
Customer: other than she has hearing problems, thats it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Jane. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will be back in touch with you as soon as possible.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Has she been scratching her ears a lot?

Are your dog’s eyes moving back and forth?

Is your dog standing with its legs further apart then normal?

Is your dog swaying? Is your dog walking on an angle and can’t walk a straight line?

Is your dog holding its head at a tilt? Is your dog nausea or eating less?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
she scratches her ears very often.
Her eyes seem to be fine
sometimes she has her legs further apart but ive only noticed this today
she can't walk in a straight line, she keeps falling to her left
No head tilt, her eating is normal, no vomitting
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
this walking problem just occured after she got up after her nap like 30 minutes ago

It’s possible your dog is suffering from the beginnings of vestibular disease. Symptoms include standing with legs spread out, swaying, head tilt, abnormal eye movement, walking sideways, falling over and may include vomiting. There are a few things that can cause this condition such as an ear infection, some medications and old age. Since your dog is scratching her ears often, then an ear infection on the side she is falling toward might be the issue.

Here are some great sites on this condition:

Old age is often a cause as well and if this is the case, the condition normally resolves itself over a few weeks. Your vet will most likely prescribe dramamine or bonine to help with the symptoms. You can read about dramamine and bonine usage, precautions and dosage here:

Now if she had access to antifreeze, that can cause similar symptoms of a drunk like walk. In that case you need to get her to a vet immediately. Read more on this here:

Now older dogs can experience strokes as well. A stroke can also cause similar symptoms. With a stroke you often see improvement within a week and in many cases a full recovery is possible. In others a dog might still experience some lasting changes. Read up on strokes here:

I'd recommend you have her in to see your vet since incoordination can also be due to organ failure and she is an older dog as well. Your vet should be able to determine if an ear infection is the cause fairly quickly and help resolve the issue.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

I'm following up to see how Candie is doing and if you were able to have her evaluated by your vet. Did you find my answer helpful?