Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Dr was helping me. My 2 year old Pomp/Shitzu ate a bone that

Customer Question

Dr Bruce was helping me. My 2 year old Pomp/Shitzu ate a bone that we found in his stool. Local Vet x-rayed and gave antibiotics and enema. Zeus is eating and drinking but now we found blood in stool. What does this mean?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 months ago.

Hi there! Glad to hear that Zeus is eating and drinking at this time! Do you feel that he's eating well? Is the blood in the stool just a little? Can you take a picture of it and post it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He is eating but not really. No picture

That is ok on the picture. Do you feel it was just little streaks of blood or flecks int he stool? Or was the stool looking like strawberry jam?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
More wrapped around the stool and a drop of darkish on grass
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Very Loose.. Trying to form but soft. We gave him Kayopektate

Ok. It isn't too surprising that after a bout of upper GI distress, that they will have some loose stools with the possibility of a little blood in it. This sounds like it could be colitis - inflammation of the colon. As long as the vomiting isn't coming back, he's eating and drinking and not being stressed - a lot of times, time is needed to let the colon get back to its normal state. Bland foods like 1/3 boiled chicken mixed with 2/3 boiled white rice can be a nice easy diet to let the intestinal tract rest.