Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow,
Experience:  Veterinarian at The Vet Clinic East

I have taken my dog to the vet several times in the past two

Customer Question

I have taken my dog to the vet several times in the past two months. She was treated for pancreatitis and Cushings was ruled out. I have tried her on all the foods the vet recommended and all the pills (she has enacard, omeprozole, famotidine, anti-diarrhea meds and now anti-anxiety meds and also had a script of Cerenia) . The vet has also diagnosed her with a heart murmur. I am currently holding the meds due to the vomiting. She has lost 6 plus pounds, which is good, she was too heavy. She is a Poodle Schnauzer mix about 8.5 years old. Her appetite is pretty much non-existent at this point. I am so frustrated and broke.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your poodle eat anything unusual?
Customer: No.
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the poodle's name?
Customer: Maddie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maddie?
Customer: No. I just want to her be happy to eat again. Per my vets assistant, she will eat when she is hungry. I'm sorry, but to me that's like saying even though Ruth doesn't like liver, she will eat it if she gets hungry enough.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sarah Snow replied 1 month ago.

I am Dr. Snow, and I can try and help you today! A couple of things:

1. Pancreatitis can be painful, so it may be helpful to get her on some pain medication if she is not already. Your veterinarian could prescribe some for you, or you can try Traumeel over the counter. This can be found on Amazon, and it is a holistic pain medication.

2. Schnauzers can get a condition called hypertriglyceridemia, which is too much triglycerides in the blood. If she has not been tested for that, I would suggest following up with your veterinarian when your budget allows.

3. You can entice Maddie to eat by trying some warmed up chicken baby food. If you haven't already, try some boiled chicken and rice as well, mixed with cottage cheese.

4. Some probiotics may help you get her GI system back on track. I like to use plain cultured yogurt on the food.

*If she is continuing to vomit and not eat, it is important that she stays hydrated so you may need to take her back in to the vet. I know how frustrating and expensive it is though!

Dr. Snow

Please message back with questions or how I can help further!