Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian

I have a 10 year old and is acting strange. when we go

Customer Question

hello, I have a 10 year old ***** ***** and is acting strange. when we go walking which is every day he constantly sits about every 15 feet, he will kind of walk sideways like a question mark. we had his anal glands cleaned out about 6 weeks ago. he keeps looking towards his rear end. he also will drag his rear end as we walk. thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 month ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I Am sorry to hear about Jay Jay!

Can you tell me how long this issue with frequent sitting/sideways walking and dragging his bottom has been going on for?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
1 month
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 month ago.

And when he had his anal glands cleaned was it by a vet, or a groomer? Did them mention if they were very full or if the contents looked normal?

Has he had any changes in his diet in the past few months?

Is there any redness or irritation around his hind end?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Vet did rectal exam. Said thick secretions. Could it be allergies
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No redness. No fleas
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 month ago.

So the things I worry about when I see a dog with the problems you are describing would include:

• irritation in the anal sacs due to them being full or being infected (some dogs do need their anal sacs expressed regularly at times, like monthly), sometimes the sacs get inflamed and irritated and we need a course of antibiotics and/or anti inflammatories to help with the irritation
  • allergies- we do sometimes see dogs with itchy and irritated hind ends due to allergies. Oftentimes we will see them licking at their hind ends as well and will notice redness and irritation in the area. This can sometimes be tough to see with fur being present.
  • arthritis pain and discomfort- the hind end (hips/pelvis/lumbo-sacral spine and tail) are places we can see arthritis develop in older dogs. Sometimes this can cause the symptoms you are describing as well.

Unfortunately without seeing your pup, it is very hard for me to tell you which of these issues is going on, but I would say if it has been going on for a month, a return visit to your vet is warranted. I would want to check the anal sacs again to check the contents and to feel if they are inflammed. As I said, they may decide to treat for potential infection with an antibiotic, or may decide a short course of steroids would be a good idea to decrease inflammation and irritation. Or they may palpate the hind end and decide a course of pain medication for arthritis should be tried.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 month ago.

Please let me know if my response came through and if you have any additional questions!!! Thanks.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 month ago.
Hi Harold,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jay Jay. How is everything going?

Jess K