Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I came to bed at midnight and she was fine. My husband got

Customer Question

I came to bed at midnight and she was fine. My husband got up around 3 this morning when he heard her vomiting. the only thing we can figure is that I had stupidly left a large piece of leftover pizza on the table and this morning it was gone. it had extra onions on it along with green peppers and spicy sausage
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: she won't drink water or anything else... i'm afraid she is getting dehydrated!!! what should I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: She is a black lab and she is about 11 years old, but usually quite active yet. she has vomited 3 or 4 times and then just dry-heaaved a few times.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

I am sorry to learn your dog is not feeling well. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Can you give me an idea of how much pizza or onions did she eat?

2- How much does she weigh?

3- How long has it been since the last time she vomited?

4- Any other symptoms?

5- Are you seeing any abodminal swelling?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
this was a large pizza and it was cut into 12 pieces... she ate 1-1/2 pieces. She weighs about 65#. she last had the dry heaves with mucus about 6 or 6:30am this morning. she licks her lips a lot but she refuses anything to drink. we felt her stomach but it doesn't seem swollen.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the pizza had extra onions on it. i had forgotten it on a plate in the dining room. she gets up after midnite and comes downstairs and i'm sure that's when she ate it... sometime between midnite and 3 am when she started vomiting.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
how long does it take for a dog to become dehydrated? we are so scared!

Did you see evidence of the pizza in the vomit?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
my husband cleaned it up and he says he can't be sure that there was pizza in her vomit... I also wanted to add that at about 8pm, I gave her a second dose of a 3-day dosage of Panacur-C. she had had worms before and she had been dragging her bottom around so we took her to our local vet who gave it to us to give her.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I had mixed it up in some softened ice cream which she had the night before with no trouble.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
she just now wanted to go outside and she dry-heaved again with a little mucus... and she laid down in the grass and doesn't want to come back inside!

Customer, I am sorry your dog is not feeling well, I am sure you are worried. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
how long until she quits with the dry-heaves and wants some water? when should we be really worried? our local vet doesn't get in his office for another 3 hours or so.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
my husband had gone for coffee and he's back now and she wanted to go with him to the farm... she barked and jumped in his pickup and they just drove away... he said she had maybe just a little more energy than before when she just wanted to lie around which was unusual for a lab!

Panacur is a very safe dewormer, it can cause vomiting and diarrhea. But, the fact that she is lethargic I am more inclined to believe this is related to the Pizza. You see, onions are toxic to dogs. In addition, the fat content and condiments in Pizza can also cause vomiting, diarrhea, pancreatitis, etc. I am more concern about the onions and the possibility of pancreatitis.

Is dehydration a concern at this point? In any case of vomiting we are always concern about dehydration. But, at this stage in such a short period I doubt she is in a life-threatening state of dehydration. The difficulty that we face now is that if she is vomiting it will be difficult to maintain her hydrated by giving her water orally. The recommendation at this point is to not give anything orally so that when you do offer water she keeps it down.

In this case, unfortunately, we are somewhat limited as to what you can do at home. I would strongly recommend having her checked this morning by your family veterinarian for supportive care (IV fluids), blood work to rule out pancreatitis and monitor her red blood cells as a suspect of onion toxicity. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- If your local vet opens in 3 hours, keep her off food and water until she is seen by your veterinarian. If you feed her or give her water she may vomit, not only will she not absorb the water but also loose electrolytes in the vomit making matters worst. So, right now all you wanna do is stop her from vomiting. Do Not let her eat grass either.

3- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination and supportive care.

That is good she had the energy to go out. I would try to keep her confined in a cool room when fasting.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If it was the onion that caused the problem, how long would it take realistically for it to cycle through her system where she would be feeling better?

It may take a couple of days.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thank-you!

You're welcome. :)