Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian

My 14.5 year old lab mix finches when drinking water and had

Customer Question

My 14.5 year old lab mix finches when drinking water and had slowed down eating and doesn't drink as much water. She had cracked teeth removed,but still finches. She us also sensitive to ice dispensing noise and think plastic bag noise. I'm afraid she's going to stop drinking.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Her hearing has changed and is sensitive to storms. Never was before.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She also cannot bite down on anything really hard any longer. She flinches and is obviously in pain.
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 month ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your pup is having such strange behavior.

Have you tried giving her pain medication? Does that help her be more enthusiastic about eating and drinking?

How about Pepcid to reduce acid in her stomach? Many old dogs have stomach pain as well and the Pepcid can help.

If her hearing has changed, she may only hear very loud noises, which startle her. There are some herbal remedies that can help with anxiety and they are very safe for old dogs. I like Composure and Rescue Remedy.

Does this help? What questions do you have?

Dr. Amanda