Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

My shitzu hasn't eaten very much in a couple days. She is

Customer Question

My shitzu hasn't eaten very much in a couple days. She is drinking water. She is still somewhat active with the other dogs but lying more around than usual. She is using the doggie door to go in and out to potty and if she hears something she run out to bark.
She weighs approx 20 lbs; eats purina dog food and also nibbles on the cats food. She does eat some human food scraps. She's not finicky.
Her gums look good. Her stomach is soft, and gurgles a little. She's alert if you call her and will
Follow you. Should I get her to the vet or is this some type of stomach virus that will pass?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 5 months ago.

Hi this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this.....so yes she needs to go see your vet and have a thorough exam along with a CBC test, chem panel, electrolytes and urine...

Expert:  Dr B replied 5 months ago.

There could be many problems causing what you are seeing.....

Expert:  Dr B replied 5 months ago.

This could be pancreatitis, or metabolic disease.......

Expert:  Dr B replied 5 months ago.

Just eating the cat food can lead to pancreas disease......

Expert:  Dr B replied 5 months ago.

Are you there?

Expert:  Dr B replied 5 months ago.

Lack of appetite is a non specific sign of disease.....tells you something is wrong but not what is wrong....I hope that makes sense.....

Expert:  Dr B replied 5 months ago.

That is why examination and the bloodwork I mentioned is important. To the list above I would also add a 4DX test with the CBC, chem, electrolytes and urine test...

Expert:  Dr B replied 5 months ago.

Are you there?

Expert:  Dr B replied 5 months ago.

Can I answer any other questions of concerns for you?

Expert:  Dr B replied 5 months ago.

Sue, are you there? Can I assist you further?

Expert:  Dr B replied 5 months ago.

Ok since I am not hearing back from you at all I am going to opt out of this question and allow another expert to assist you.......

Expert:  Dr B replied 5 months ago.

I am going to finish answering your questions since no other expert appears to be helping you......

As I have indicated a lack of appetite is a non specific sign of a problem.....it lets us know there is a problem but does not tell us what the problem is.

Therefore you must seek help from a vet where they are able to do an exam, a CBC, chem panel, Urine test and 4DX test.

This should help figure out what is going on with Millie.

I hope this helps you. If you have any questions feel free to leave them here and I will get back to you as soon as I can. Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. A positive rating will not close this question and I am more than happy to answer any follow up questions that you have.

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much. DRB