Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog is having his typical arthritis pain and I have his

Customer Question

My dog is having his typical arthritis pain and I have his tramadol but the label has wore off and I can't remember what his dosage is I don't want to give them to last and I don't want to give him too much he weighs 109 pounds can you help me with this
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Fat man and he is nine years old
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Fat man?
Customer: He tore his ACL two years ago and it heal without surgery and then he has a left shoulder that has quite a bit of arthritis in it that makes it hard to walk if he's been running around too much. I had 14 grandkids here he can't even hardly move
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I have picked up your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience in treating cats and dogs and smaller pets, rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect to receive a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

Sorry to hear Fat Man is uncomfortable, however I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Tramadol is a drug which is being used more often in dogs these days, it is regarded as a potent pain killer with a high margin of safety and few side effects in dogs.

2. For things like post-operative pain relief and the situation your dog is in a dose rate of 1 mg to 2 mg per pound of your dog's bodyweight given each 12 hours is often used. In your case you could safely start at a dose rate of 150 mg twice a day and see how it goes.

3. Where I give clients information about drugs or dose rates I like to provide a link so they can check the accuracy of my advice and read further on the subject. : LINK

4. In any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It was very helpful to me and taking care of my dogs pain. I appreciate your service.
No problem, very glad to be advising you.Regards, *****

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Fat Man is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his pain control ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He is doing great thank you for your advice.

Thanks for the update, so glad he is more comfortable ...

Regards,

Dr Scott