Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a 15 month old mastiff. I came home tonight and she

Customer Question

I have a 15 month old bull mastiff. I came home tonight and she had eaten part of a light bulb. Is this something that i should be worried about? She hasn't eaten or drank anything for the last 3 hours. I have tried giving her canned food and she turns her noise up at it. She has a very sensitive stomach and is on sulcate tablets 3 times a day.
JA: It's hard to know for sure. The Veterinarian will figure it out. I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the bull mastiff will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bull mastiff?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- To make sure I got this right, she ate the broken glass, right?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Some of it yes.

1- Can you open her mouth and check for any cuts or glass?

2- Does she normally turn food away?

3- How long has it been since ate the glass?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
There is a couple of small cuts on the side of her tongue nothing on the top of her month. No she usually eats as soon as I put it down. I've been gone for 6 hrs but not sure she she ate it.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

If you are seeing evidence of cuts in the tongue it is likely that she did swallow some glass. The concern is the glass becoming obstructed and perforating the gastrointestinal tract; if this happens the outcome could be fatal, I am sorry. For this reason, I would definitely have her checked by a veterinarian as soon as you can for x-rays. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol.

2- Do not induce vomiting.

3- Change her diet for the next 3-5 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to bind the glass and help pass it in the feces while protecting the intestinal tract.

4- If at any point she starts to vomit, becomes restless, abdominal pain, pale gums, etc. have her checked by ER veterinarian otherwise follow up with your family veterinarian in the morning.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you I will call the vet in the morning

Great, in the meantime, try to get her to eat some rice with meat, canned pumpkin, bread, etc. anything with fiber to bind the glass.

You're welcome.