Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I took her to the vet for bladder problem and cephalexin was

Customer Question

I took her to the vet for bladder problem and cephalexin was prescribed. the next day she started coughing severely, vet then prescribed Beytril and tussigon. two days later and cough is still severe, she now hardly eating and very depressed. Not too bad in daytime but nonstop and exhausting her all night long. Had collapsing episode last night. But now during day not too bad. Don't know what else to do but can't stand to see her suffer with little release.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Zane
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Zane?
Customer: She is 15 3/4 years 28 lbs
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Zane. Which breed is she, please?

The standard of care is to X-ray the chest of any dog of such advanced age who is coughing as is Zane. While any age dog can contract a simple upper respiratory tract infection, dogs nearing 16 years of age are more likely to be suffering from advanced cariopulmonary disorders such as congestive heart failure, chronic sterile bronchitis, pneumonia, and neoplasia (cancer) in the chest cavity. It isn't enough to switch an antibiotic - particularly after just one day on the initial one - and the narcotic cough suppressant might be contraindicated as would be the case with a pneumonia. Please do your best to schedule a three-film series of chest films for Zen at your earliest convenience.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.