Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My bichon 13years has an inflamed vaginal area it is

Customer Question

my bichon 13years has an inflamed vaginal area it is bothering her alot
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: bichon fresie dog
JA: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: two days ago she was groomed and then her vaginal area has become inflamed
JA: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?
Customer: bella
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about bella?
Customer: she has been trying to chew the area and drags her behind on the floor, not worms I have checked that
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to learn Bella is not feeling well. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she spayed?

2- Is she urinating more frequently?

3- Any vaginal discharge?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
she is spayed no discharge not urinating frequently and not eating
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for answering my questions. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Friend, as you have suspected it is likely the vaginal tissue has become irritated when she was groomed. Then, the licking/gnawing at the area is causing more inflammation. This is what you can do:

1- Need to stop her from licking or she is going to delay healing and promote an infection. Pick up an E collar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from licking/gnawing the affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.

3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical cortisone cream in the inflamed tissue. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days. You can buy topical cortisone cream over the counter in any pharmacy.

4- If no significant improvement after doing the above in 1-2 days follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands-on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter