Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.

My fog ate 200 mg of antiver He wieghs 110, Justice, He's on

Customer Question

My fog ate 200 mg of antiver He wieghs 110
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Justice
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Justice?
Customer: He's on prednisone
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Justice.

1. How long ago did he ingest this drug?

2. How is he behaving since he ate it?

Thanks, Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 month ago.

I'm not certain if you're having difficult with the site or not but I'll provide my response to you in hopes that you can access it.

Antivert (aka Meclizine) can actually be given to dogs for its sedative and motion sickness effects or if a dog has vertigo. After researching a veterinary drug handbook, the dose I'd recommend for a dog this size might be less than 200 mg but it is a dose which would be acceptable to give him.

In other words, I wouldn't expect any significant toxicity issues for Justice. He might become sleepy or drowsy, though, which is probably the most commonly seen side effect with this drug. A few patients will have just the opposite reaction...excitability...although this isn't seen nearly as often.

Any effects which are seen should last less than 24 hours.

There should be no drug interactions with the steroid (prednisone) that he's taking if you were concerned about this.

I hope this helps to reassure you about him. Deb